The Community General Plan
for Monterey County
January 11, 2005
On January 11, 2005, eighteen community groups presented this “Community General Plan” to the Monterey County Board of Supervisors. The Community General Plan consists of seven elements mandated by state law, plus two “optional” elements, an “Agriculture Element” and an “Administration and Enforcement” Element. This document is a fully-integrated, complete, and legally adequate General Plan that meets state law requirements. It is based upon the Twelve Guiding Objectives adopted by the County Board of Supervisors, and in all other respects fully conforms to what the Board of Supervisors has said that it wants the new, updated Monterey County to be.
The Community General Plan is simple to understand, and is much shorter than the current General Plan. It contains special policies for all of the County’s individual Planning Areas, so that local concerns are addressed, while incorporating a unified approach to land use policies that will make the Monterey County permit process work better. Policies to protect the Coastal Zone are included, so this Plan is ready for certification by the California Coastal Commission. It fully conforms to the requirements of the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), and has been officially submitted to HCD for their review and comment.
Copies of the Community General Plan are now available to the public, as follows:
- The Community General Plan can be downloaded from www.8of10monterey.com
- The Community General Plan can be reviewed at the following public libraries:
- Prunedale Branch Library, 17822 Moro Road, Prunedale
- Castroville Branch Library, 11266 Merritt Street, Castroville
- Salinas John Steinbeck Library, 350 Lincoln Avenue, Salinas
- Marina Branch Library, 266 Reservation Road, Marina
- Seaside Branch Library, 550 Harcourt Avenue, Seaside
- Monterey City Library, 625 Pacific Street, Monterey
- A print copy of the Community General Plan can be obtained by paying for printing costs at:
- Copymat, 44 West Gabilan Street, Salinas
- Copy King, 498 Calle Principal, Monterey
- The Community General Plan is also available in a CD Rom edition. Please contact LandWatch Monterey County by email at
, or by telephone at 759-2824, Ext. 13.
Sponsoring Community Groups:
California Native Plant Society, Monterey Bay Chapter ~ Carmel Valley Association ~ Citizens for Responsible Growth ~ Concerned Citizens of River Road ~ Coalition to Protect Housing, Farmlands, Air & Water ~ Friends, Artists & Neighbors of Elkhorn Slough ~ Highway 68 Coalition ~ LandWatch Monterey County ~ League of Women Voters, Monterey Peninsula ~ Líderes Comunitarios de Salinas ~ Monterey Pine Forest Watch ~ North County Citizens Oversight Coalition ~ Planning and Conservation League Foundation ~ Prunedale Neighbors Group ~ Prunedale Preservation Alliance ~ Rancho San Juan Opposition Coalition ~ Save Our Shores