PUBLIC INPUT OPPORTUNITY FOR PERIODIC REVIEW OF MONTEREY COUNTY LOCAL COASTAL PROGRAM
The California Coastal Commission, in cooperation with Monterey County, is initiating a periodic review of Monterey County's Local Coastal Program (LCP). The California Coastal Act provides that the Commission periodically review the implementation of local coastal programs to determine whether the LCP is effectively carrying out the goals and policies of the Coastal Act. The review will focus on implementation of the LCP and resource changes occurring in the coastal zone since 1988, the year when the Coastal Commission certified the LCP and the County began issuing coastal development permits.
The Commission is seeking public input to help identify the priority issues concerning implementation of the LCP coastal management issues in Monterey County. At this time the public is invited to comment on which of the following topics should be part of the review:
- Maximizing Public Access and Visitor-Serving Recreation
- Protecting Environmentally Sensitive Habitats (e.g. wetlands, dunes, stream corridors, etc.)
- Preserving Agricultural Lands and Scenic Resources
- Planning for New Development and Assuring Adequate Public Services
- Maintaining and Enhancing Coastal Water Quality
- Avoiding Coastal and Shoreline Hazards
- Supporting Commercial Fishing and Recreational Boating
- Providing for Appropriate Coastal Industrial and Energy Development
- Protecting Archaeological Resources
- Enhancing LCP Procedures and Public Participation
This review is expected to take one year. If you would like to submit any comments, please use the attached Public Comment Form and return to us by fax or US Mail as soon as possible. You are welcome to distribute this flyer and Public Comment Form to anyone else that may be interested in providing comment. Please let us know, on the attached form provided, if you would like to receive subsequent announcements about public meetings and/or information throughout the periodic review process.
Periodic Review Staff